Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,640 Posts
Nick, this has been discussed on numerous threads. The general consensus is that the jars are safe to use straight out of the box or bag. Many feel better by running glass jars through the dishwasher first, but do not do this to the PET plastic jars as they will deform from the heat. They can be sterilized with a solution used for washing bar glasses, no rinsing required.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you do decide to wash them, you need to make sure they are completely dry before using or the excess water will mix into the honey and can cause it to ferment in spots. I like to wash my jars ( I use glass) before filling

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Unless you have the physical equipment and/or chemicals to process them to actually sterile state you may be increasing the bacteria count plus job creation and "feel good".

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The only time I would wash a jar. Would be if they where to be judge.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I guess I am different as I wash hundreds of jars and use the sanitize cycle in my dishwasher without any soap or detergent. Then I let them dry upside down for a day or so. I am unconfortable with any disease that may be on the inside or outside of the jars. I went on the theory that I was our dishes in the same way and it seems reasonable.

·
Registered
799 Posts
From Better Bee website regarding plastic containers

All of our premium honey bottles take the same 38 mm lids, so you have a choice of hi-flow spouts (black, yellow or red), Flip Top Lids (red, yellow, black, gold, white) or plain white caps. Also, please note that there is no need to wash these containers prior to filling them with honey. Manufacturing practices have changed to eliminate this need.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess I am different as I wash hundreds of jars and use the sanitize cycle in my dishwasher without any soap or detergent. Then I let them dry upside down for a day or so. I am unconfortable with any disease that may be on the inside or outside of the jars. I went on the theory that I was our dishes in the same way and it seems reasonable.
I do the same-but maybe only a hundred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts