Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked a hived swarm (in a deep) about 5 days ago and ~6 of the 10 frames had been drawn. With an eye toward keeping disturbance to a minimum, about how long should I expect the bees to've drawn on 7-8 frames -- during this flow -- so I would know to add another hive body? I'd like to preclude swarm-cell formation if possible, but don't want to add a box before The Girls really need it. Is there a rule-of-thumb re: time-frame for drawing during a spring flow? Maybe I'm over-thinking this, since (maybe?) merely opening the covers to peer at the frames probably doesn't really bother the bugs too much? Then again, I hear some old-school beeks say the bees can fill a hive body's frames in "no time", at times. I've already had several miserable swarm events this spring, and probably due to population density. Thought I'd added new boxes in time, but apparently the bees'd decided already to hit the road.

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,548 Posts
Bees that have swarmed love to build comb. If they had 6 of the deeps drawn 5 days ago, I would bet they are just about done with that box. I would guess in a flow, you would get a frame every two days or so. Maybe not fully drawn, but a significant amount. Be ready to give them another box as early as tomorrow. You can tell just by popping rhe inner cover and taking a peek, no need to pull frames and piss the girls off. If you see comb on the inner face of frames 1 and 10 you need to put more frames in asap. You can also spin the end frames around to put the started comb on the box side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I checked a hived swarm (in a deep) about 5 days ago and ~6 of the 10 frames had been drawn. With an eye toward keeping disturbance to a minimum, about how long should I expect the bees to've drawn on 7-8 frames -- during this flow -- so I would know to add another hive body? I'd like to preclude swarm-cell formation if possible, but don't want to add a box before The Girls really need it. Is there a rule-of-thumb re: time-frame for drawing during a spring flow? Maybe I'm over-thinking this, since (maybe?) merely opening the covers to peer at the frames probably doesn't really bother the bugs too much? Then again, I hear some old-school beeks say the bees can fill a hive body's frames in "no time", at times. I've already had several miserable swarm events this spring, and probably due to population density. Thought I'd added new boxes in time, but apparently the bees'd decided already to hit the road.

Mitch
If 6 are drawn, move the undrawns to the center of the box and add a deep

As someone else has pointed out, swarms build comb at an unbelievable rate, especially if there's a flow on.

Be ready with supers in another week

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much obliged, guys -- I'm gonna do the organization today and plan to go in tomorrow. This is my 4th summer with The Girls, and I'm still picking up lots of data all the time. Part of that, due to total failure the first year (and partial the 2nd) ....

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts