Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been preparing a 5' x 5' area for my first single bee hive, which I should have up soon. However, getting the bees might have to wait until next Spring, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyhow, I wanted to use some form of wood chips, bark or other mulch to help with the weeds in that area, as well as for aesthetic purposes and I'm considering using rubber mulch. I'd also use weed mat and I do have a hive stand that sits 18" up from the ground as well. This will be my first hive and I'm totally new.

My question is this: Does anybody know whether or not the bees will be Ok with the rubber mulch? From reading the pros and cons of using it, I do like how long it will last, so it's worth it on my end, but I want to make sure it won't harm the bees. There won't be any water or any other reason for the bees to go onto the rubber mulch as well.

Thanks,
b1rd

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I've been preparing a 5' x 5' area for my first single bee hive, which I should have up soon. However, getting the bees might have to wait until next Spring, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyhow, I wanted to use some form of wood chips, bark or other mulch to help with the weeds in that area, as well as for aesthetic purposes and I'm considering using rubber mulch. I'd also use weed mat and I do have a hive stand that sits 18" up from the ground as well. This will be my first hive and I'm totally new.

My question is this: Does anybody know whether or not the bees will be Ok with the rubber mulch? From reading the pros and cons of using it, I do like how long it will last, so it's worth it on my end, but I want to make sure it won't harm the bees. There won't be any water or any other reason for the bees to go onto the rubber mulch as well.

Thanks,
b1rd
The bees will be in it. Every time it rains they could go into it looking for water. Some new bees or bees heavy with a load might come back and miss the entrance and hit the ground. I doubt the product will hurt them but the heat and temp could. i'd use wood mulch. Not too thick

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
This is an opinion, I myself would not use rubber mulch. The bees clean house and pull everything they don’t want from the hive and deposit it in front, so you want it somewhat bio- degradable (not sure this is the correct word). Also you want to be able to see what your bees ARE pulling out, it can give some insight as to what’s going on in the hive. The “stuff” will eventually decompose and you can put more mulch/chips over it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The bees clean house and pull everything they don’t want from the hive and deposit it in front, so you want it somewhat bio- degradable (not sure this is the correct word).
When I set up my small backyard apiary, I put a landscaping fabric (to suppress weeds) and, for aesthetic purpose, put small rive rocks on it. Now, half-decomposed bee carcasses and other debris are packed between the rocks, and it is not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was already having second thoughts about the rubber after I posted this. I began to wonder about the heat during the summer months and potential fumes. I didn't even think about the heat increase, so thanks for that heads up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks.

Also, I just enjoyed the free bees in the meter vid. Very cool how you guys can find those queens in all of that bee business going on.

I do get a weekly "Queen Finder" challenge in my inbox, and after three weeks I have yet to find it even once. And it's a still image.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks.

Also, I just enjoyed the free bees in the meter vid. Very cool how you guys can find those queens in all of that bee business going on.

I do get a weekly "Queen Finder" challenge in my inbox, and after three weeks I have to find it even once. And it's a still image.

Thanks! Well, video editing makes the queen finding process a bit faster as well...:)

I'd like to do the queen finder challenge you are talking about. Sounds interesting...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to do the queen finder challenge you are talking about. Sounds interesting...
It's from THIS site, and you might have to navigate around a bit, as I'm not exactly sure where I found it. It might have been when I signed up for their newsletter, with an option to have the queen spotting challenge sent as well.

Here's an example of one from the other week and I do have the answer if needed.

b.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, and nice eye.

They send the answer with the following weeks challenge.

Their answer:
Bee.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
I get lucky sometimes. Lol. I’ve totally missed seeing them in the hive a bunch of times. It gets better with a little more practice.

I just signed up on their email list. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts