Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a queen cell, partially drawn out, today. When I looked up in it, the bottom 1/4th to 1/3rd of the cell, is filled with white gooey looking stuff. Reminds me of some sort of candy filling. I cannot see any signs of a larva. Is the white stuff Royal Jelly? Where is the larva?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The larva is PROBABLY in there. Remember, what you're looking at is an unsealed queen cell. As you may be aware, queen cells are capped on the 6th day after laying. What you're looking for MAY be an egg OR a larva. Eggs are tiny. Much like a lowercase "i" in common magazine print. A properly aged larva for grafting could be the size of a letter "c". Both are white and hard to see up in a queen cell against their beds of royal jelly.

As much royal jelly as you're describing wouldn't be in there if there wasn't something in there to be fed.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
FYI: The letter "c' is much too large for grafting, You need a larvae that's no older than 16 hours old.
But, they are easier to graft and the resulting queen will be superceded.

·
Registered
463 Posts
FYI: The letter "c' is much too large for grafting, You need a larvae that's no older than 16 hours old.
But, they are easier to graft and the resulting queen will be superceded.

I also agree with this 100%,soon as they have hatched is best,barely visible,no where near the size of the letter "c",well for good quality queens anyway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I know what the eggs look like, and how small they are. This cell had so much of the royal jelly in it, that it looks like it would drown the larva. I do think they is something there, I was just astounded as to how much jelly was in there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If there is more than a small speck (less than diameter of cell) of royal jelly the larvae is already too old to graft. If there is lots of royal jelly (1/4 tsp) most likely it is getting ready to be capped.

If you do not want a new queen, fish out the larvae and eat the jelly. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Queen cells are capped on the 6th day after laying.
Whoops! I meant to say 6th day after GRAFTING. Good catch guys.

I still stand by the size of the larva for grafting. It's tough to get a reference that we can all understand. I thought "magazine print" was more or less standard, but I'm guessing I'm off base with that. Perhaps "egg sized, but laying down and starting to curl" is a better reference? Or, "1/4 to 1/3 the diameter of the cell you're grafting from" is a better visualization?

DS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts