Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 swarm traps out this year - first full year. Pulled the first two down the other day without issue. Peeked in at number three and was surprised to see a LARGE something in there - closest inspection with it still in the tree - looks like maybe a large wasp nest? Didnt have the time to mess with it - so said I'd come back in a few days when I could be more careful and thoughtful about it.

My thinking at this point is that I should wait til we get back closer to - or under freezing - and then attack it? Unfortunately this weekend will be warmish....

Its strange - I certainly dont check the traps daily, but certainly I'm surprised that I never saw enough coming and going to justify the size nest that seems to be???!?!?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You surely left your traps out a long time if you have just taken them down. I put out traps 1 March and take them back in 1 August. Swarm season in NC is over by then and I bring in the boxes, remove the tops and guts and put them up to dry. Bees WILL NOT use a wet box; the last two years we had LOTS of rain and all kinds of critters are looking for shelter.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Ncbg, don't feel bad. I still have two traps out that are going to be pain to get down. One I know is full of biting tree ants which is why I haven't taken it down. Maybe this weekend. Generally though, traps come in around the same time I pull the honey supers.

Bring a berzomatic propane torch and scorch the critters inside before they get you.

As far as nest size, paper wasps do not lay in old cells so nest size is a function of age, not population.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts