Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys built one of the rotating style observation hives (such as the DraperBee style)? I am contemplating building one. Any tips? I'm mostly trying to figure out the best way to negotiate the swiveling base with some type of disconnect setup. Do you use some type of lazy susan bearing? Pictures of your build would be awesome, especially pictures of how you did the base and disconnect.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I have not built one, but I do have one of the Draper ones (sort of like staying in a holiday inn express that has an observation hive?). I think the trick is keeping it "bee proof" while having a lazy susan. Basically the hive has a large flat base that has a lazy susan below it. It works very nicely. Since you have to carry it out and it has to stan upright when little kids run into it, you want a large flat base that doesn't weight too much. :)

Some pictures of that draper hive here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I do not have the skills..or time...to build an observation hive.
I am considering suggesting one would make a great gift...but before doing so I ask:

Are they something of a novelty where they are interesting for a while..then not so much?
Are they PIA re management...time and logistics?
What is preferable..indoor single depth, indoor double depth, garden view outdoor double depth? I am gravitating to an out door model on the patio.

Thanks .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts