Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow beeks:

In rotating my brood boxes as part of spring management...I have a question.

I did an inspection of both deeps, and the top deep has empty frames, but there are three full frames of honey still there...even though we had a brutal winter here.

The lower deep is fine, the queen is laying eggs already, and I found several frames of capped brood -- and larvae in all stages was scattered around.

It is obvious that the queen is (or has been) in the lower deep and laying. I found no eggs in any of the frames in the top deep.

So should I go ahead and rotate the boxes as a part of spring management -- or should I let it go since she's downstairs? If I rotate, that means the brood nest would be at the top and the empty comb and few frames of honey would be in the bottom. And I'm not so sure that makes sense.

No swarm cells were anywhere to be found, and drone caps were scattered about -- and everything looked fine.

Your advice, please? Rotate the boxes or leave them alone?

PS - I plan to split this colony in May when I get another queen from a local breeder.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
You are correct, it doesn't make sense. It's perfect the way it is so leave them alone. They'll be ready to split in May or before I bet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yep, leave it be. I had to swap deeps this year, because everyone was in the top.

The only other thing I would suggest, if you feel you need to do something, is clean off your bottom board. What takes the undertaker bees, God knows how long to do, will only take a matter of minutes for you. In my opinion, that just leaves more bees to do more important things, like build up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Greetings fellow beeks:
The lower deep is fine, the queen is laying eggs already, and I found several frames of capped brood -- and larvae in all stages was scattered around.
Rotate - not at this time. When those 'several frames of capped' mature the population will really grow. I'm concerned about your 'scattered around' pattern but she seems to be doing ok.
Are the lower frames brood all the way to the top bar or is there a layer of honey above the brood? She may not want to cross the honey barrier if it is there. You can always force her to move up by exchanging a frame of drawn comb with a frame of brood from the center of the lower. I bet she'll fill it with eggs and follow the other frame into the top super and continue to lay there.
Or leave her a bit longer but keep an eye on the bottom of those lower frames for q cells.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You are sitting on a money pot....AS IS. Queen has already moved down so reverseing would just screw up what nature has already done for you.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
As stated, leave it! Now, what I would do, and you may decide not to, of course, is -
If the three frames of honey in the top box are all together, I'd be sure one is in the middle of the box, with empty frames next to it, then the other two frames of honey outside those empties, so it would be something like this:
E E H E H E H E E E. That gives them access to the honey, but doesn't block the queen from moving up. Kind of like checkerboarding. I would also watch that hive like a hawk, because they are still in danger of starvation. Especially if she goes on a brood rearing spree, and you get a lot of rainy days keeping them from foraging. Might even throw on some pollen sub.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would do exactly what Steven G says. And check the frames in the bottom for a honey barrier like Naturegoods says.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Leave um bee!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts