Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ross Round Question
I am located near Syracuse NY. For those who do Ross Rounds, I have frames that are drawn out but not filled or capped. I also have frames in various states. I know there is still a flow going on but want to know what you do if the bees do not finish drawing out, filling or capping the chambers. Do you pull them and save for next year? If so how do you store? What if they are half and half? How long do you wait before pulling them?
Thanks in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,167 Posts
I pull mine when the heavy spring flow is over. It takes a heavy flow to get them to crowd up and pull wax comb. Just stick them in the freezer until next year and they will pick right back up where they left off. This is a great way to get them to move into the super to start again. Just let them thaw out to room temp before putting the super back on. Be gentle with them when pulling out of the freezer, the comb will be more fragile than thin glass.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If you have honey frames to extract you can feed it to the colonies with the RRs to get them to finish them.

Alex

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Some keeps will add wet supers after extracting back to the hive, they will lick all of the left over honey off and put it in you ross rounds.
He was just giving you another suggestion of what to do with them to get them filled out. I would say for your location it is a little late. Was up in Rochester last week and the golden rod was in full bloom.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yes, I was thinking that you may be extracting honey for sale as liquid in jars. If so, one can feed it inside the hive to their bees.
I have done this to get them to finish cut comb honey. I used the baggie feeding method.

Alex

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was thinking that you may be extracting honey for sale as liquid in jars. If so, one can feed it inside the hive to their bees.
I have done this to get them to finish cut comb honey. I used the baggie feeding method.

Alex
Thank you all!
I am just going to wait until October and pull them. I'll freeze what isn't finished and just put them back on next spring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would LOVE to know where you guys get your freezer space to store all this equipment!?
Well............
That is a problem. I will freeze my frames to ensure any freeloaders are dead and then thaw and treat the empty comb with BT and just store overwinter in sealed container. You can also store them outside overwinter in a sealed container.
I am looking into a small chest freezer to steer clear of the wife's wrath...............;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Har har, like garlorco said. We already have 2 freezers (full of meat & food) if i go buy a big upright freezer just for "bee stuff" itll all be irrelevant because the mrs would shoot me.

Now i do have a smaller chest freezer collecting dust in the shed, i fully intend to use that but it just doesnt seem feesible, ill get maybe what 40 frames in it total? Thats not alot in the grand scheme of things
What "airtite" containers do yall use?
Ive seen different storage containers at lowes & wallmart but cant see them being "airtite"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Har har, like garlorco said. We already have 2 freezers (full of meat & food) if i go buy a big upright freezer just for "bee stuff" itll all be irrelevant because the mrs would shoot me.

Now i do have a smaller chest freezer collecting dust in the shed, i fully intend to use that but it just doesnt seem feesible, ill get maybe what 40 frames in it total? Thats not alot in the grand scheme of things
What "airtite" containers do yall use?
Ive seen different storage containers at lowes & wallmart but cant see them being "airtite"
I don't you need airtight per say. Jut need to be tight enough to keep insects out. I would store in basement till winter then put outside. got a good deal at bass pro last year...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I run 3 big uprights, 1 small chest and 1 large chest freezer.

Freeze frames, thaw out, treat with BTA, let dry, put back in supers and stack up in garage.
I do put an outer cover on the floor upside down, stack supers up with a sheet of newspaper in between each super, top off with an outer cover. I think the paper acts kind of like a gasket at the edges and if there happens that a varmit gets in the news paper will contain it to one super.

I can attest to this as I found some drawn comb that I had forgotten about at my mothers house that had been done this way and and was still in perfect shape.............after 18 years!!.....according to the date on the news paper. This was treated with certan, the original, from years ago.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
BTA Bacillus thuringiensis aizawai can be bought in the powder form or liquid for called "certan"

1powder form.......... Xentari Insecticide 1#

certan........... B401/B402 (Certan): Wax Moth Control | Vita Bee Health
B402 Certan 1 qt

Check out the pricing between the bag of powder and the gallon of liquid, they are not making any money on it are they ?!?! considering you mix 2 teaspoon powder to one gallon of water.

The crystals you are asking about are para-dichlorobenzene which must be renewed over time as they sublime. You do not want to use naphthalene, this is moth balls and will kill bees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts