Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a ten frame Ross round super on about 5 weeks ago but they have not drawn any comb. Any hints, I do have a super below the Ross that they are working in. I want to try the Ross but I don't want the hive to swarm.

Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have heard that you to have a strong honey flow going for them to use those. I have been curious to try them myself but have not yet, mostly cause of the $ side of it. As I build up my numbers, most of the money I make right now is just reinvested back into more equipment and that $100 buys either 2 tb, 2 bb, 2 hive bodies and 20 frames/foundation, or 3 hive bodies and 30 frames/foundation. I thought I was going to stop doing extractions after this last one is completed, I'll have my $ for my extractor, but the bees have other plans and need more supers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the long-time beekeepers near me indicated that since clover etc was quite impacted by roadside spraying changes, his spring nectar flows were not predictably flush enough to build out Ross rounds. And he lives out a ways with good spring forage options.

I've tried them twice and even when the bees had very little alternative space- they refused to touch them. Maybe I needed even more bees so they would be really desperate-- I did get a swarm once tho so they felt pretty crowded.

At this point I feel it's a thing to put on if you feel lucky, but don't get sad if it doesn't fill, you are not being picked upon. I'm going to go for super thin foundation next year and just cut it.

If there is a bit of a trick to try to set up I'm all ears, it's a neat looking solution (RR). I didn't try it this year, went for early splits etc instead of honey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts