Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I came across a box of about a half dozen really nice Ross Rounds from last year. They look good and I have buyers for them...but I am wondering if there is a way that I can tell if they have crystalized...without cutting them open. Anyone have any thoughts?
I've never kept any comb honey long enough for it to crystalize, so I'm curious to learn if it looks any different, or not.
Thanks
Barry

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
EAT ONE :D

If they were made off eairly flow they mabee still good but only the taste will tell and if they are sugared you could warm then to about 105 for a few days and the will turn liquid again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed. I had wondered if comb honey could be "carefully" warmed to restore it from a crystalized state, if necessary. Oh well. It won't really break my heart to cut one of them open for a test. :)

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Oh well. It won't really break my heart to cut one of them open for a test. :)
:lpf: didnt think it would :lpf:if you warm it the cappings may not bee as nice afterwards so now you have another new thing to paly with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...I held a couple up to a bright light. I didn't have a good feel one way or the other about them. I think I'll take one to the office tomorrow with a knife and some plastic spoons. After cutting it open, if it's still good, I'll give free sample to generate some sales. If it has crystalized, I'll just chew the pieces myself...it should still be a tasty treat.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Even if it has crystalized I wouldn't be afraid of giving some samples to fellow workers. Don't forget the toaster and some multi-grain bread to put those samples on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts