Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i may have screwed up big time. On Thursday i was hiving my first package. I purchased one of those queen frames from Brushy Mountain. When i pulled the queen out of the package i realized her cage was too small for the queen frame. Instead of just banding her to a frame i opened her cage and released her into the queen frame.....without covering the side hole.:(

I placed the package into the hive and closed it up.

I didnt realize my mistake until yesterday and the apiary i purchased them from was closed for the weekend. Stachan Apiaries in Yuba City, ca.

I picked them up thursday morning and hived them that evening. What are the chances that the queen was accepted? Or do you think shes dead and i need to pick up a new one ASAP?

I checked the hive today and was unable to locate the queen. Not surprising considering I'm a newbee. They did have some comb built and were really going after the hive top feeder.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Package bees are already introduced to their queen in theory, no need to worry. Its why the queens are suspended with the bees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if she was placed in the package that morning? I don't know how long most queens sit in a package before they are sold. How long does it take for them to be accepted generally? They do specialize in queen breeding but i like i said i couldn't call and ask.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I would suspect she's still fine but you never know. Did you guage the bees reaction to her at all, that's the most important thing to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts