Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Queen excluder use is like the ford vs chevy debate.

I happen to be trying useing one before i dismiss it outright. I run a deep and med as basic brood chambers, with addtional supers on top. I had added my excluder between box 2 and 3 (counting from bottom) last year, with perfect results, a great complete med super of capped honey.

Wanting to extend the sucess of last year i added a second honey super this year and again dropped the excluder between 2 and 3 (box 3 and 4 above =honey)

ya well.... i generally dont check the honey super, weighs a ton and has capped honey in it, not much goes on there.... well guess what, the day i put it on, she was up top.... trapped her ABOVE the excluder :doh:

the bottom was FULL of drones and uncapped honey. I wanted to find her and move the box back to the bottom and reset the order of the hive but my smoker had burnt out by then and i wanted to pack up the hive so I pulled out the excluder and packed it up the way i found it.

We are going to have nice weather all week so tomorrow ill load up the smoker well and set about finding her, and moving her to the bottom.

Let this be a lessen to the noobs (like myself) that if your GOING to use an excluder, make shure you know were your queen is BEFORE you put it on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last year I used an excluder like you, this year I threw on the excluder, added a new super with new foundation and 2 weeks later found brood in the newly drawn comb. I'm working carnolians and they seem to be a slightly smaller bee. so maybe I have a drawf queen ;-)
My remedy was to shake all the bees off the frames , set them aside take the empty super off, dump all theh bees that were on top the QE back into the brood chamber below, replace the QE and the super. The brood cells above the QE should hatch out and (hopefully) the cells will be refilled with nectar.
It's always intersting, isn't it?:thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts