Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I live in Southeast WI and am just starting my bee adventure. My husband and I built our two hives but I bought frames. After a lot of research I decided I am going to go completely foundation less and I am excited but also very nervous about it. There seem to be so many things that could go wrong my first year. I would love advice from anyone who started out completely foundation less too. My bees should be arriving very soon and as far as I know I am all ready. One quick question, I placed my hives next to my garden facing South. My husband is very concerned about the bees reacting negatively when it is time to use the rototiller. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Nikki

·
Registered
120 Posts
If he is concerned he can always wear a vial and long sleeves. when tilling. I mow past mine with few problems! I use foundation so I can't give to much advise but even with foundation you have to correct comb the bees have built in the wrong place. Don't be afraid to take action to correct comb. It's better to correct it sooner than later.

John

·
Registered
629 Posts
I put my hives right next to my garden when I started. I wouldn't do that again. The waggle dance works on increments of 100' so not much traffic in my garden. Plus when the summer dearth hits the bees get pretty aggressive. Last year in July they would go after us for just coming out the back door. You may want to put them further away so the power tools aren't an issue for your hubby.

If you go all foundationless the bees have no blue print to go by. I just did a crush and strain on a super that the bees did their way. Most of the other supers I was able to straighten out and get the comb onto 1 frame only. They like to curve the ends. I just added honey supers with every other frame foundationless. The other frames have half frames in the center. I'll see how well they do soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I'm new to bees too. If bees show up in my box I plan to go foundationless also. But my gardens I'm not quite as new to. Glad to say I don't till anymore, just heavy mulch of organic material yearly unless I'm claiming new areas. It's always black always soft always moist and not doing the de-nitrifying thing down in the root zone, so I've stopped watering and feeding pretty much too, haha. Maybe your husband is bucking for till-free gardening also?

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Welcome! You'll find this site, inspiring (sometimes), funny (sometimes), stupid (at times) but addicting....... all the time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I am excited and just need to get through installing my package of Italians to soothe my nerves. I have read Michael Bush's article on how to install them about 5 times so I think I can do it. I put my hives next to my garden only because it was flat on out of the way of people and animal traffic. (I have two large dogs) If I somehow got my hands on a small piece of comb and placed it in both of my hives, would this increase my chances of my bees doing well with the foundation less frames? I also covered the inner cover hole with #8 screen and plan to put my feeder on top of it. How long do you keep them confined do the bottom box?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This year should be my last tilling year. I am changing my gardens over to the wide deep bed system. I did one last year and have one more to do. I was just wondering what I should do to my existing beds and I think you answered my question. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts