Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, boys and girls:

O.K. Get a good laugh and then help me. My first swarm I captured, I was so excited, inexperienced, and unprepared, that I caught them in a box without the inserted 10 comb holders.

I then went ahead and put a 10 super on top, since I had no options at that point.

I opened hive today, inspected, and everything is full of beautiful honey and bees had run out of room. I put another super on top so they would have more room.

I know, yall gonna laugh, but it ain't funny, now. What I need is kind words, and some good ole fashion Christian info/help. My plan now is to let them have it all this year, until I can get a game plan together and somehow split this huge bunch of girls.

Let me have it, I can take it. This is a great forum and I am learning and loving my bees.

May bee yall can help me.

casper_zip

·
Registered
113 Posts
is the bottom super full of comb(not in frames)?
I can't picture what you have there...if the 2nd super you added with 10 frames is full of bees and comb, and you added another after your inspection, I'd just take the bottom super(the one without frames) off...then put some frames in it and have it ready to add on top, or for my next swarm...

this will tell you how/when/where to do several types of splits.....

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

have fun with your bees!

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Well, I'd love to help if I can, but you never did really post a question?
What is your goals if any, with this hive?
Do you want to get the bottom box of wild drawn comb out of it?
Do you want to split it for increase of hives?
You don't want any of the honey this year?

So, not being sure of your goals, do as you say and just leave it for the year, adding supers if needed. In early spring, the bees will more than likely be towards the top of the hive stacked boxes and at that time you could take off the empty bottom box of frameless comb.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K.

I got in a big hurry on my question. I put the swarm into a totally empty box. I had cleaned it out, grabbed it up, it had nothing in it at all.

The bees went in, set up housekeeping and I put a super on with frames. I have not looked into the bottom box (brood box), so I am sure it's full of comb, bees, eggs, etc. This is a really big swarm of bees.

Sorry I was so confusing. I think I will leave it like it is for now. My brother is a professional bee keeper, who don't live close by, I'll get with him soon as I can. He is a workaholic, and hard to get at times, so I depend on yall.

We are forming a bee club here in Beauregard Parish (county) to the rest of the USA, had our first meeting, and trying to get it started. I cannot believe how stress reducing this is, and how much fun. This is my cup of tea. Thanks to all of you.

casper_zip

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I can't wait to see the pictures you're going to post of that bottom box. You ARE going to post pics, right? I wouldn't worry about this too much. Luckily, the bees have discovered that they need to watch over all of us dumb beekeepers and take care of our screwups. :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
With a little luck, they festooned off the frames in the upper box. That will at least give him straight comb to band into frames when he cuts them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts