Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this the other day in the Mann Lake catalog (there may be others elsewhere). Basically a handheld roller, like a paint roller, covered in stiff spikes that you can roll over a capped frame to open all the cells before extraction.

Just curious - has anyone tried this, and if so, how did they like it? We can be reasonably certain that it works, as it's my understanding that at least some automatic uncapping machines use similar rollers and they work just fine. But how well does it work? Pros/cons?

·
Registered
152 Posts
They work very well but they do get gummed up and not very effective but I have several just wash off with hot water let dry and reuse after they are dry I have the ones with the still pins and the plastic the steel pin ones work better

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
They work very well but they do get gummed up and not very effective but I have several just wash off with hot water let dry and reuse after they are dry I have the ones with the still pins and the plastic the steel pin ones work better
A sharp knife (kitchen, butcher), 9 frame spacing, and warm combs makes for easy uncapping. I can do a frame in about 20 sec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts