Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Spring I have thoroughly enjoyed listening through the majority of the BIBBA webinars which were recently posted online. While some of it is specific to the geography and politics of the British Isles, much of it is geared toward the advocacy of locally-adapted stock and the education of beekeepers and beekeeping associations to equip them to be self-sufficient- thus precluding the need to import genetics.

It is obvious once one listens to more than a few of the talks that the real driving impetus behind the series as a whole is Mr. Roger Patterson, and it is plain that he has leveraged much of his more than 50 years of personal experience and relationships/goodwill forged over that time to set the tone for the series and bring it into focus.

All that said, I think the following presentation is the best one of the lot insofar that the ethos and pragmatic nature of the approach is something that seems much more attainable for the average 'bee haver' like me.

Beyond this, I do respect the fact that he is always careful to: not offer unnecessary criticism of alternate approaches- particularly when he has not had extensive personal experience with it and; keep an open mind about learning something from someone else even if they have less experience than he or are utilizing a different management approach.

In a nutshell, this presentation discusses the changes he has seen in beekeeping over the past 50 years and outlines his practical bee improvement efforts over the past 20 years, including things he thinks have worked well, things that have not, and things he still has questions about. It is not specific to TF, but should likely be considered more of a survey of establishing, selecting for and maintaining any number of traits a beekeeper or group of beekeepers might want to select for.

Well worth the hour investment in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you google DAVE CUSHMAN's website you will find that Roger Patterson has maintained this website since Cushman's death in 2011, I believe. Lots of information from "oldtimers" and a little different point of view from the Brits. I bookmarked that site and refer to it often for their thoughts on something I'm going to do. It's like a library.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Murdock. Good feedback.

Roger recently gave a presentation about Dave Cushman and the circumstances that lead to his inheriting the website- very interesting:

Happy Easter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts