Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did two cutouts for a guy and made a new friend. His wife and dogs were attached by the bees after beeing agitated by the wife shredding weeds on a tractor just a few feet from the hive. No one is to blame, but I was glad to help out.

Took two jars of the honey back to the landowner and he offers me another job, doing a cutout on a hive of bees that have taken up residence in an old, rock home that is at least 130 years old.

Details, the rock wall is leaning and waving badly. The rock will be reused. The walls are about 10 inches or so thick.

How can I possibly go about doing a cutout on a stone/rock wall structure like this? This is a brand new one on me.

I have a wide blade, heavy duty chisel and some hammers but gee whiz, 10 inch thick walls.....:eek:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Turn it down. Some jobs aren't worth it.

Besides, in my experience cutout hives only stick around their relocated hive half the time, so you could be doing a heck of a lot of work for nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No way to get at it from the other side of the wall? I just did one in an old stone church. Wasn't so bad take down a little trim and some plaster and there they were.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funnyfarm,

I haven't seen this house yet, only been told about it.

Are you familiar with the rock projects done by the WPA during the depression era? I think it may be similar to that. I've been told the walls were extremely thick and the house is abandoned and no longer used.

I'm going to try and go look at it today and report back.

Thank you to everyone for your ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts