Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think the issue is that my bees are being robbed. I put the entrance reducer back in. Any other suggestions? Will the hive die?

Bill

Bees  (1 of 1)-2.jpg

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
It does look like there might be some fighting. If you can put a screen over the hole but allow for your bees to find their way around it that will help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMAG0212.jpg

You can make a robbing screen like in the picture except facing up, since your entrance is on the bottom. I just used a 1X4 and wire screen to make it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am having a problem thinking this is robbing. When I see robbing it looks like a war going on,,this looks like bees getting some fresh air.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I though my hive was having a robbing problem. Lots of bees flying around the entrance, some bees dashing in the entrance. No fighting.
I asked about this at my bee meeting tonight. They said it was young bees getting their bearings. And not to worry. If it was robbing that there would be lots of fighting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I tend to agree with others; this doesn't appear to be robbing. When robbing occurs you will know it since it is something like you have never seen. The entrance becomes a beard of bees fighting to get into the hive. This looks more like a bunch of foragers returning at the same time, resulting in some entrance congestion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd take the entrance reducer back off. If it's too warm in the hive some of the bees will just hang out on the outside.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Benbill, (just my two cents) Robbing can take place with any number of bees. It usually starts small and when those robbers have found a source then they go back and tell other robbers about it, bring more trouble makers. You dont have to have thousands of bees to call it robbing. To me the picture does look like robbing. Look at the different groups as if they are ganged up on one. There are also bees pictured with their mouths open. I think you mentioned in another post that this was your Carni hive (or maybe i'm wrong). I can see dark bees and I can also see light bees. Not sure if your hive is mixed race but this could be a clue if not.

Watch for bees to be pulling and tugging at another, guard bees leaping at those (robbers) flying in, and the robbers sometimes look as if they have already lowered their landing gear (because they are going by smell and not by knowledge of where to land).

I would use the screen method previously mentioned if i was you. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all:

There has been an incredible amount of fighting; with many dead bees found on the ground.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts