Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm seeing a robbing incident with my good hive. It looks like a battle in front of the hive. Bees are leaving with stuff in their arms. what can that be? And is my Hive in jeapordy of being killed?
Thanx
Gerald

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another Question. When bees rob do they only rob honey? I've notice some of the bees leaving with what looks to be like new comb. Is that possible? This is my first hive. I lost my other hive. It looks as though there was not a queen. Also during the evening will all the robbers that made it into the hive leave? :ws Thanx for the help.
J Bees

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I think I'm seeing a robbing incident with my good hive. It looks like a battle in front of the hive. Bees are leaving with stuff in their arms. what can that be?

Pollen. Wax. Propolis.

> And is my Hive in jeapordy of being killed?

Yes.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I did reduce the entrance. My inspection found dead brood out of the cell on the bottom board. That's probably what I saw being carried away. Not sure why the bees would take brood. Making a robbing screen today after work. I hope they're not hurt bad. it was a rather small hive. I'll do an inspection tonight and see what they did unside .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On another note. This bee stuff is fun but it's more than throwing bees in a box.
JBees

1 - 7 of 7 Posts