Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffered a lot of losses this winter and I ordered a few nucs to make up for some of the loss. Last week, I cleaned all the dead hives but I neglected to block up the entrances. When I checked out my yard yesterday I discovered a major robbing frenzy going on. So I re-stacked all the boxes together and made sure the girls don`t have any access. I should`ve done this last week when they weren`t flying. :doh:

But to my question: I know robbing is not a good thing, and I read it is a learned behavior. I am wondering how vulnerable my nucs will be when I install them in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I would think (hope) that after a week or so they would forget where the freebees were but when I think I get in trouble most of the time--and it hurts :popcorn:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Install them close to dusk when everyone should return to their hives very shortly after you install. Close the new packages into thier hive (with feed) for a day or two so that they can get organized. After that day or two use the entrance reducer on the smallest opening so that they can defend their new home more easily until their population increases. Robbers should lose interst.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don't know what the situation is right now in Ontario but in my neck of the woods robbing is not a problem until after the main flow even with packages, nucs or divides. That said since you have already taught them a new trick the safest thing would be to start them somewhere else and when they FILL the first box move them where you want them.

Gary

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
No nectar flow so is robbing.
No nectar flow so are you feeding? syrup?
stop feeding liquids when robbing is going on.
Dry sugar is best, doesn't cause the robbing so much,
but doesn't promote brood rearing, unfortunately.
Use robber screens and entrance reducers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts