Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Feb 15 saw something I've never seen at my hive, temp was about 50 today went to check my hive and saw more bees then usual, I have an entrance reducer on the hive so I opened it up a little to help with the congestion. went back around 2:30 in the afternoon and noticed a lot of bees on the ground just sitting there, and then I noticed bees coming out of the hive with other bess underneath them and they would fly off caring the bees with them, some even came out with larvae and would fly off, any ideas what might be going on, could it bee robbing and if it is why would they carry the bees off with them. Also if it is is there any thing I can do to stop this, any info would be greatly appreciated :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are they just cleaning house?
I find bees in front of mine and it appears they are the bees that won't make it thru the winter;

They may have started more brood than they could keep warm, so these are the dead ones - or diseased ones.

perhaps this is just hygenic behavior??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would guess that you're watching mortician bees from the same hive at work. This is always the first thing I observe in my hives each year: spring cleaning. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts