Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a yard (150 hives) yesterday and passed throw some of the weaker hives which set off robbing. Most the time I figured the bees aren't worth saving that are being robbed but this year everyone counts. I need to feed in another yard (42 hives) and was planning on starting just before dark. Will this help stop robbing? I mixed up some sugar and water and didn't put any attractant in it.

If it's not when would be a better time of the day?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Good singles will take 1 gallon overnight. How are you feeding? Do you slide your lid just so the feeder is visible or for you take each lid off. I like to have 3 guys running when feeding. 1 guy is sliding lids just enough for nozzle, 2nd guy following him with the hose and the 3rd closing lids off. Afternoons are best.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
This brings to mind one of the odder beekeeping experiences I have ever seen. We got a late load of bees back from the almonds that was extremely light. They were on 4 way pallets with inside feeders on the inside closest to the neighboring hive. We fed them all in the dark as they were unloaded and didn't make any extra effort to make sure the lids were sealed. While checking through them the next day the feeders were almost all empty and we saw only a few scattered weak hives being robbed but noticed many instances where a stronger hive had lots of stored feed while it's smaller next door neighbor had no feed in the feeder and little to no feed in the combs yet was still a viable hive with no robbing activity around it. The only conclusion I could make was that the larger hive breached the adjacent lid opening just a few inches away and took a large portion of the feed back to their hive in the darkness.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim!

That's exactly what I was looking for. My hives are set up exactly like yours were or are. It'll be interesting if mine show the same signs.

BTW... I've heard your a good guy from one of the packing houses here in Linden, CA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts