Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some serious robbing going on yesterday. It was my fault because I set wet supers out a few hundred yards away from my bees. That's another conversation. Anyway I'm throwing together robbing screens made from disassembled packages. I could build them 100% from the wood in a package but have supplemented with scraps laying around. It's labor intensive so not for the large scale folks. But, I hate throwing them away and they stopped taking them back for a deposit. Just thought I'd share to give others ideas on a repurpose for all those package containers most of us have.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not being negative about your idea, but if you use wire screen you can leave them on all winter for mouse guards.
I have one setting under each of my hive's with wire screen ready when needed.

GREAT IDEA

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being negative about your idea, but if you use wire screen you can leave them on all winter for mouse guards.
I have one setting under each of my hive's with wire screen ready when needed.

GREAT IDEA
That is the plan. The slots accommodate 1/2" hardware cloth too. Come fall, I'll replace the mesh screen at the sliding main entrance with hardware cloth to block mice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Many people I work with leave robbing screens on all year and they double as mouse guards, just be sure they have a top entrance or something in the winter. They can get easily clogged with dead bees and they can get trapped inside and die.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many people I work with leave robbing screens on all year and they double as mouse guards, just be sure they have a top entrance or something in the winter. They can get easily clogged with dead bees and they can get trapped inside and die.
I tried to design them so I could leave them on all year. The bottom screen slides open the same with as the wide gap in an entrance reducer. I leave the notch in the inner cover open all year except for late summer/fall when robbing occurs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts