Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to install robbing screen several times but had to remove them as I found that my bee's were having trouble getting back into the hive. I have installed it after bee curfew and placed leaves in front of the screen. I have an exit out both sides of the device plenty big for travel. I keep getting a humongous amount of bee's being major stupid and not getting in.

Any thoughts?

;)

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
It takes a day or two for them to become accustomed to the robber screen. Install it at night when everybody is tucked in. Don't worry about the leaves and other stuff. They will figure it out. Even when I open the lower entrance, it seems most of the bees prefer the top entrance on my robber screens.
I start all my nucs wih a robber screen. When I hive them without the screen, they are just as confused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday evening I reinstalled the robbing screen. With the weather in the high 50's I thought the stupid ones would be ok. Checking before I went to bed it looked like everyone was tucked into bed. This morning when I checked my hive I noticed 50+ dead bees in front of the hive. I am surprised and confused. The hive is at day 36 so it could be a natural die off I suppose. I suppose they could be robbing bees but why would they die on the front porch and no go home? I have had my reducer on for a couple of weeks and maybe the added robbing screen gave my hive the edge in stopping the robbers. Hopefully there won't be more DB's tomorrow.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
The dead bees were most likely robbers. No way to tell for sure. Last year, one of my hives was under a lot of pressure. I put in a entrance reducer to help the guard bees defend the hive. The next day there were hundreds of dead bees under the hive. Needless to say I was distraught. Robbers just won't give up, even when the home hive is only 15 feet away.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
The video is too short to get a feel for what the bees are doing. Is there fighting taking place? Orientation flights can look like robbing but generally are over in about half an hour and there is no fighting when the bees return to the hive. Also, your robber screen is much different than the style I use. See picture below. These have a top entrance that the hive bees quickly learn to use. The robbers are confused by the smell of honey through the open screen.

Furniture Box Wood Plywood Crate

Bee Chicken coop Apiary Agriculture Insect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts