Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for looking over my question.

I have a question about sealing up a hive during a robbing incident.

I've only had to deal with two incidents of robing in this first year of beekeeping, and I do have a quick question.

My second robbing experience was yesterday. There was a small gap where a couple of mediums meet, and things shifted causing a small gap that went unnoticed. When I went back a few days later, I saw a bee frenzy. They were clearly making their way into the hive though the gap, and I saw fighting out in front as well. I was able to reposition the boxes to close off the gap, and I did totally seal up the main entrance using mesh screen as well.

I did periodically open the entrance up just slightly, at which time a decent amount of bees would leave the hive. Since the sun was starting to set, I'm guessing they were trespassers making their escape? I did that a few more times until the sun set, then I left a 1" opening for the night. This morning things looked back to normal.

Are there any real concerns about sealing robbing bees within the hive that I might be unaware of? And what happens to them? Hang out until they can leave? Fight all night or get accepted (over time)?

Also I do have robbing screens, but since I did not see any cappings around the entrance and things look back to normal now, I'm hoping that I stumbled across this shortly after it began, so at this point I'm not using them.

Thanks,
b1rd .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you very much for the information.

Regards,
B1rd.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts