Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed a queen in a split 2 days ago, feeding 1 to 1 ratio syrup, i have the entrance reduced down to about 4 inches, not much activity from hive until
i just checked it, alot of bees are swarming around the entrance, are they trying to rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm feeding with an entrance, split wasn't that strong alot of capped brood, just one hive body, there are large hives in the area

there is a good flow on should i not be feeding?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I'd probably stop down the entrance some more put the feeder on one side and the entrance on the other. Maybe use a robber screen. Entrance feeders are prone to robbing. If there aren't a lot of field bees in the hive and there's alot of emerging or about to emerge brood, I'd probably feed. If they have field bees and some stores and there's a flow on, you might not have to feed. It probably can't hurt if you can keep them from being robbed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just checked the hive again now bees are stacking up 'on the front entrance
don't want to lose a hive to robbing what do i do?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had a robber screen up for three days and there are still bees clustered around the front. I thought they gave up after 3 days, but not yet.

Check out this link and look for robber screens under miscellaneous equipment.
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

I'm seeing some bees with pollen not finding their way in, it worries me as this is a swarm.

I'm thinking of taking a frame of sealed brood from my strong hive and adding it to this hive.

Pugs

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I think you both need to rob a frame of honey from a strong hive and give it to the nuc, and get the feeder off until the robbing is under control.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Take the tops off of the larger hives for awhile,they'll be too busy guarding their own homes to rob too much.I have not had much luck with the robber screens,try to reduce the entrance down to it's smallest size.
If all else fails feed the other hives.
Good luck hope something works for you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks iddee, but I don't have a feeder on. I put in two frames of honey from a hive that went queenless over the winter. Oddly enough, it never caused robbing sitting there, I put its honey frames in with a swarm, boom, robbing starts!

Ugh.

I put the swarm into two mediums, I'm wondering if I should move it all into one medium.

Pugs

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Pugs, are you sure that they are robbing? I never have a problem with robbing around here until after the middle of July. Right now I have a boardman feeder on a split (for times like the weather we are having). This is a few feet from 4 large hives. No robbing, they use about a quart a week.

I had my honey supers (still a few frames of uncapped honey from last year) airing out for a couple of days 50 feet from 5 hives with no activity. When it is nice enough to fly, they have lots of stuff to visit right now.

Are they fighting at the entrance or is it just busy?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,077 Posts
Look for signs of robbing. Hovering can be a traffic jam, an orientation flight or robbing. Wrestling on the landing board is good evidence of robbing. "Greasey" looking bees is good evidence of robbing. Bees that can't seem to find their way into the hive is good eveidence of robbing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well checked the small hive today, found a bunch of dead bees and couldn't find the new queen she was marked and clipped, is it normal that robbers kill
if they overwelhm a hive?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts