Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to make a nuc queenless and sure enough the robbers have come. Solid black bees and amber bees with thin black stripe and solid black butt.
Does anyone recognize what race they could be from? Or is what native bees use to look like? I run Italians, Carni's and Russian's and they sure don't look like anything from my hives. Though uninvited, I think they are beautiful.

Karen of NH

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Karen,
Looks like the feral "German" black bees I have near one of my yards in southern Strafford County. I quit trying to mate queens at that yard because the hives were almost always aggressive when the queens had been mated there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fishman,
Thank you for sharing that. I just went through a supercedure and she layed first eggs on Friday. I guess I won't know about the agressive trait until next Spring. I am in Rockingham County. I guess NH still has native bees! Will you attend the NHBA Fall meeting Oct. 25th? Dr. Dewey Caron is the speaker.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Bees are not native to North America so there are no native bees. The First Americans called the bees that were brought from Europe "White man's flies".

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Bees are not native to North America so there are no native bees. The First Americans called the bees that were brought from Europe "White man's flies".
I read somewhere that a fossil honey bee was found in CO, I think, dating back millions of years. That makes honey bees natives here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You "read somewhere ... you think?" That's good enough for me...that makes honey bees native here.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I read somewhere that a fossil honey bee was found in CO, I think, dating back millions of years. That makes honey bees natives here.
Now that is splitting hairs! (read the article in Post #7 to get the joke)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Look in the September issue of Bee Culture magazine on page 7. Photo of 35 million year old "native" honey bee fossil found in Cripple Creek, Colorado. Looks just what is flying around today!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was a white guy who said that quote and it's debated if there was honey bees here or not a bee in Amber was found in Nevada

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
That was a white guy who said that quote and it's debated if there was honey bees here or not a bee in Amber was found in Nevada
This post is nearly 5 years old. Might want to check the post dates when responding.

But you do have a good point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts