Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently made a split off of a very large Russian hive, the Split is doing alright population wise, and the hive has around forty pounds of stores, but I would like them to start foraging, I introduced a Carniolan Queen today and the bees are tearing the candy plug apart as we speak. The reason they cannot begin forage is because of their sisters from the Russian hive, they got a whiff of some honey comb that broke off, and decided to take it upon themselves to steal it from the small hive, I screened the entrance with a very thin mesh, which allows the bees plenty of ventilation, but no place to put their waste products. This robbing needs to end, I have no other place to put either hive, and we are still in the Clover flow, I need the nuc to begin foraging. Is there any ways to pull the robbers away from the Nuc box? To me those robbers should be more focused on gathering nectar and such from the flowers, not robbing weaker colonies. Thanks for any help, and Happy Beekeeping, Cole.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Build yourself a robber screen. They work very well, and would take less than 10 mins to build. Do a search here on Beesource.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I think since I introduced my queen robbing has slowed if not stopped, but the yellowjackets till won't leave the Hive alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.