Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 2 nucs in early may. 1 hive has always done better than the other. shb has been somewhat of a problem, but i put bottom screens w/ pans on them. now the stronger seems to be robbing the other. it occurs between 4 and 6 pm. the weaker has a cloud of bees in what i would call the robber flight in front of their hive. the stronger is business as usual. am i looking at this wrong? if not what do i do and which do i move?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Robber bees don't rob between 4 and 6. They rob between dawn and dark. Between 4 and 6 you will see orientation flights. New bees learning where their hive is.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Robber bees don't rob between 4 and 6. They rob between dawn and dark. Between 4 and 6 you will see orientation flights. New bees learning where their hive is.
bingo,and the "dawn to dark" gave me a laugh. :lpf:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
When reducing an entrance for robbers, think of the 300 Spartans at Thermopolyae. Make it so small that numbers don't matter. Basically a 3/8" by 3/8" opening. Screen the rest, to confuse the robbers as they can smell but can't get in... We aren't talking about a third of the opening (which is what... 3/4" by 5"?) I'm talking about 3/8" by 3/8". That is a difference of 4 1/2 square inches verses 0.14 square inches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok gentlemen, it was exactly like that. an orientation flight. thanks for the info. if you dont ask you dont know but you still feel foolish again thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts