Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived my package last week on drawn foundation, added in a couple of capped honey frames from last year & feeding 2:1. There has been a lot of activity outside the hive (orientation flights as well as pollen being brought in).

I was concerned that robbing was/would be taking place, so I installed a robber screen (vs a grass covered 1" hole in the entrance board).

I am noticing a lot of confusion and a number of dead bees out on the ground in front of the hive, as well as an increase in (sugar) ant activity (tho I did fill the feeder yesterday - but usually don't have so many).

I realize that I am getting close to a generation swap (dead bees), but how long should it take for the bees to orient to the entrance changes with the robber screen in place as there is some clustering on various locations outside the hive?-

·
Registered
760 Posts
to check for Robbing is very simple

go out at night and staple 1/8" screen over the entrances - all of them

then watch the hive as bees start to fly in the morning - if you have a lot of bees on the outside of the hive trying to get in --- you have robbers - if not then not a problem

-- simple !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They get used to the new entrance pretty quick. A day or two at the most in my experience.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Heus, yes it can. However, #8 screen allows a little more airflow and does not need to be stapled - it can be bent into a "V" and pushed into the space it is reducing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts