Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

601 - 609 of 609 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I'm clearly doing something wrong.
Or nothing right!
I would not worry about it.
To each his/her own location (and whatever comes with it).
Just do your best.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would not worry about it.
To each his/her own location (and whatever comes with it).
Just do your best.
I'm not worried about it. Slightly amused, mildly curious, somewhat amazed. I can't handle 28 swarms. It will be cool to catch one, some day.
I set up two empty hives on my property, one with my 3 hives, one at the opposite corner of my property. So, extremely minimal effort on my part yielded no results. No surprise or worry there.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
To be sure, I wish I was situate at such a location - no chems are needed/swarms are a plenty.
It is a beekeeping paradise.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
I'm not worried about it. Slightly amused, mildly curious, somewhat amazed. I can't handle 28 swarms. It will be cool to catch one, some day.
I set up two empty hives on my property, one with my 3 hives, one at the opposite corner of my property. So, extremely minimal effort on my part yielded no results. No surprise or worry there.
Where in Minden are you located? What size is the entrance to your swarm traps?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Where in Minden are you located? What size is the entrance to your swarm traps?[/QUOTE]

I hesitate to call them swarm traps. Two mediums with the small opening in the entrance bar. They are in my backyard, so I don’t have much coverage. When I get really motivated I’ll build a couple boxes dedicated to traps.
They’ll be in or around Doyline.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
Pulled four more swarms off of trees last night and put them in our nursery yard. That brings the total to thirty-two this year. That's a little more than two per trap. I still have one more swarm in a trap on a tree, I believe. By this time of the year, we've stopped using lemongrass oil. We've lost a higher than normal number of trapped swarms this year, but still a good year. We will do our second honey pull in a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
many thanks for the update david.

during the honey flow is a queen excluder placed above the 3 lower boxes that you leave undisturbed for the bees to use as they wish?

looking ahead i am leaning toward a similar management approach to yours (somewhat by default) with the exception of having 10 rather than 8 frame equipment.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
many thanks for the update david.

during the honey flow is a queen excluder placed above the 3 lower boxes that you leave undisturbed for the bees to use as they wish?
Yes. We keep an excluder above the third box and stay out of the bottom three boxes. Our second, and generally last, pull of the year is between July 4th and Labor Day. Later within that time frame is better because it leaves less concern for stores during the dearth. After we pull, we put wet supers on starter hives to bring them up to three boxes. We may or may not add an empty wet super back on a production hive depending on the number of bees in that hive and depending on whether we already left a super with uncapped honey on the hive. The hives are generally packed full of stores from goldenrod and aster by All Saints Day when we pull off the excluders for winter. I like a tightly packed hive for winter.

We add the excluders back around the Ides of March. If there are four boxes on the hive at that time, we smoke the bees down and add the excluder above the third box. They have their space, which we try to leave alone, and we have ours.

601 - 609 of 609 Posts