Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used plastic foundation and I've searched the forum to find a direct comparison to no avail.

For those of you who use plastic which would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Jon, I've used both. I don't use duragilt any longer. I use plastic or wax foundation now. The wax coating and the thin plastic membrane frequently separated on the duragilt, resulting in a totally unusable frame. Just my experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The sale of Duragilt should be outlawed. When you have Duragilt in your hive and go into the fall and winter when it not drawn out then the bees will remove the wax coating and they will never build on it again. Instead they build combs between two Duragilt sheets in the early spring when cell building resumes.
With plastic foundation the same thing happens but you can rewax these frames by applying liquid wax with a brush
Janvanhamont

·
Registered
706 Posts
Duragilt should be called durajunk its junk plain and simple use rite cel or plain bees wax fondation. I had a mess with that junk never use it again wasted a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
While I have done my share of swearing at Duragilt, some of my best frames have it as a foundation. If I put it in just as our strong flow starts, I get great frames drawn. Other times of the year you can get a mess.

So that is the big drawback for me. I can only place it in a hive in late May or June around here. I have a half box left that I will use. Placing a swarm in a box of it and continuing to feed might work also.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had no problems with duragilt, must have 350-400 sheets in, deep and mediums. I guess others don't have such good luck as I do.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
"Ritecell vs Duragilt"

I choose neither; foundationless, starter-strip, or PF-120's are my preferred choices. My very first beehive I started with Duragilt, it was okay, but as soon as wax moths got a chance the combs based on Duragilt were done for and they weren't recoverable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts