Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a quick opinion...

Requeening 4 hives. Brought in new queens for some "nicer" genetics... current hives are mean! Removed the old queens 24h ago... current hives are great producers, but are mean, which isn't good for being in the backyard, or the front yard, or the driveway.... (no signs of skunks or raccoons... definitely mean genetics)

New queens are stored in their shipping envelope sitting in the kitchen, it arrived yesterday... shipped Monday afternoon.

It's not raining right now, but has been a bad day for flights... so the old grumpy field bees are all in the hives right now. Can I run out and put these queen cages in tonight, or do I wait for the nice weather tomorrow?

Never had queens sitting around before... am I rushing things? Based on what I paid for these queens, I'd hate to jeopardize things by either killing them while storing, or killing them by putting them in the hives on a bad day!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Personally I would put them in. If you are worried leave the cork in and pull it tomorrow. The bees will still get used to her and take care of her.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are worried leave the cork in and pull it tomorrow.
No cork... just a candy plug. (not the normal wood shipping cages... the plastic JZBZ style)

Just took a quick look... one attendant isn't looking so hot... think these gals are going in right now!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah - I was going to say they tend not to look so good after a while.

I wonder if one of those pencil erasers (removable kind) would fit over the tube on those? Would act like a cork.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if that would fit... but the candy/marshmallow plug will take them a while to get through. If they haven't accepted her by then, they probably never will.

But it's done! So far the bees all seem to accept their queens. Not balling the cage, but checking it out.

Woohoo!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The major risk is getting stung up good but it is more of a risk to the queens to not put them in a hive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts