Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

381 - 386 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Did my second hive inspection prior to spring. 2 remaining hives looked really nice. Lots of bees, and a good cluster. Some were flying today, silly girls... Was about 60 degrees, after last week's 12-13 degree lows. I checked resources, and they looked good. Added pollen patty 2nd week of doing this to each hive. Also, sat a few jars of 1 to 1 out for the early flyers, just in case. New arrivals today !!! A young clutch of hawks, thinking juvenile red tails. Was in a rush, and didn't take pics... yet !!! I think they were hunting for the mice I dislodged from a dead out hive. Which I found a few weeks ago, that they cleaned out. Mouse guards are going to be used next year, like religion !!! Ill put some on all hives asap, as i got some about ready. 1"x1/2" hardware cloth run vertically should stop em. Will keep on all hives year round from now on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Did my second hive inspection prior to spring. 2 remaining hives looked really nice. Lots of bees, and a good cluster. Some were flying today, silly girls... Was about 60 degrees, after last week's 12-13 degree lows. I checked resources, and they looked good. Added pollen patty 2nd week of doing this to each hive. Also, sat a few jars of 1 to 1 out for the early flyers, just in case. New arrivals today !!! A young clutch of hawks, thinking juvenile red tails. Was in a rush, and didn't take pics... yet !!! I think they were hunting for the mice I dislodged from a dead out hive. Which I found a few weeks ago, that they cleaned out. Mouse guards are going to be used next year, like religion !!! Ill put some on all hives asap, as i got some about ready. 1"x1/2" hardware cloth run vertically should stop em. Will keep on all hives year round from now on.
Ill be adding smiley faces, and other shapes to all my hives bottom boxes next week. (Thanks grey goose) a good idea there.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
in time the mouse thingy is discovered and dealt with, by all keepers, beside the bee loss they mess up the combs and even pee all over the bottom board. I hate mice.

GG

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
in time the mouse thingy is discovered and dealt with, by all keepers, beside the bee loss they mess up the combs and even pee all over the bottom board. I hate mice.

GG
Guys, they are bad around my place . 60 acres of cow pasture, and the unseen beast living right under your feet. Also, hundreds of acres of open land. And, they come to my place to feast on my hives. I'm encouraging the hawks, kestrels, ect. To come on in. I'll build some kestrels boxes this spring. Some may nest by the following spring. Free mice patrol !!! ???

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
Hi grey goose, say I do thank you for your input. Its always welcome this. I do take all the blame for losses. Swarms, not really, as I had back surgery, and just couldn't do the work at that time. Yes, since you mentioned painting something on outside of hive. I honestly didn't think of that. !!! 😊 glad you mentioned this, as I have tons of paint, littorly. As I do paint professionally. Also, I'm in the process of or will be in next week or so resetting my hive stands, and placing all hives further apart. Also, I need to do a better for of mouse guard on all my hives, and do them earlier. As nice, field rats always a problem in colder and wetter months.
See, I am taking good constructive criticism, and making a positive out of it. I do this in my work, and business as well. Also, on my farm, which the bees reside. I do make mistakes, and will make more. I try to learn from them also. So a big thank you is going out to you. And as always, you are very welcome to mention any notions that I may improve on. As well as anyone else. Again, thanks and come back more. I do respect anyone with more knowledge, and experience helping me out , anytime. Rich
Hi Rich, sorry for the delay , had some camera issues.

here are some pics of the basic things i paint, as I recall you have paint available, so really the sky is the limit, just deviate from "clone" as far as you can.
can do the bottom boards, edges of the hive body, lids, what ever would make the Mateing NUC look different from the next one. I place some distance apart as well.

GG

IMG_20210223_131920.jpg
IMG_20210223_131931.jpg
IMG_20210223_131957.jpg
IMG_20210223_132022.jpg

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Hi Rich, sorry for the delay , had some camera issues.

here are some pics of the basic things i paint, as I recall you have paint available, so really the sky is the limit, just deviate from "clone" as far as you can.
can do the bottom boards, edges of the hive body, lids, what ever would make the Mateing NUC look different from the next one. I place some distance apart as well.

GG

View attachment 62228 View attachment 62229 View attachment 62230 View attachment 62231
Thanks gg. Look s kewl.

381 - 386 of 386 Posts