Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

341 - 360 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Bummer on the strong hive. Strong hives are a mixed blessing. If all goes well, yea lots of honey, but they run risks for issues average hives don't seem to risk as much. It is so easy to get distracted and miss timing of management. I know I did some things better last year than this year just because my focus within the hives was different. Best wishes with the remaining hives.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Will be pulling honey very soon. Should have a small harvest coming in. Flow ending soon, I'm guessing. Still havnt got the blooms of plants in my head yet. Lots of clover around my place, and other weeds and plants. Coming to end soon , as these temps climb.
Having procedure on back today. I sure hope all goes well. I know a second, and a bit more involved one to follow. I'll try to get all I can done before the second one. I have hay in the field, I'll have to get up in the barn, after tractor fixed. I blew a line on Hydrolics, before all the rain. Part made, and hoping I can put it back on asap. The pull hay to barnlot to dry, as rolls got rained on. Then go through hive , pull all capped honey. Extract, then let the bees clean em.up. get them back on hives to catch what they can. Ill do a few splits, making then as strong as i can. Will feed them in hive, by way of jars feeders. If any cells in hives, will help speed things up. Moving all nucs ready into 10 frame equipment as well. Most look strong to very strong, with exception of 1 or 2 . Should have queens in them by now, and hoping they grow out before all pollen and nectar dwindle. Would love to have a nice fall flow, but expect a fall drought again.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You are very busy. I haven't memorized the flow fully yet either and am not sure exactly when it tends to end over the summer.

I wish you a speedy recovery and that the surgery helps you feel better in the long run.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Thanks Heather. I'm going to try find a bloom chart or something in no. Bama area. Maybe nrcs? Print it out, cause my memory is royten...lol hope you guys are doing well. Rich

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Take care, Rich. Don't overdo it after the surgery!

Around here the flow seems to end when the rains do, usually in July, then starts up again with fall rains. Same there?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Hi ar1, thanks. All went well and home now. All seems to be well. Medial branch nerve block on both sides. Next will be to cauterize nerves to hopefully take away pain. Trying to prevent that back surgery . Anything but that.
I'd say early June flow should end. All the rain may put it off a bit here. But all the heat is killing all the plants sooner than I want. So 1st of July it should be all but done.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Wow, nerve cauterization sounds pretty drastic. Hope all is well and you are able to stay on your feet.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Hi jw, as I understand about next procedure.... It's an attempt to stop the pain, basically treat the symptom. Doc says nerves will regenerate about 1 yr out. My thoughts are anything to keep me working, and not have an operation as soon. They have been wanting to fuse, put rods in for years. L-1 to s-3 is in bad shape . 28 ft. Fall, and I survived...lol shattered foot, and broke back in 3 places, ect. I beat their odds, and trying to extend it a bit. Like a mule in constitution. I'm on feet now, but next day or 2 will be easy time. Then farm duties, and hopefully off to work after that. Honey harvest also !!!! 😊 I have eventual plans to slow down, but not stop. Thanks for all the support. Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Hi guys/gals !!!
Been almost a month since I updated my thread. Lazy, but still busy. So here it goes...
Last inspection I had several hives that swarmed. Just after back procedure. Did inspection prior to this, and about 1.5 to 2 weeks afterwards. They were all strong, and very healthy, with lots of honey !!!! Boom, they decided not to wait on me. So I did all I could at that moment.
Tomorrow is the day to go through them, and at beginning of dearth.
Plans, remove any honey left, consolidate all hives, do any splits needed. Start feeding for dearth, if needed at this time. Will update asap, as soon as I return from farm Sunday. Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Hi ar1, sorry to come back late. The back thing didn't work out, so doc won't burn the nerves out. Sure was praying for some relief. I'll go back to docs next month and see what he says then. I do know the procedure helped a few days, and then seemed more aggravated than before. Looking at any that first involve a knife to the back. Been avoiding it for almost 20.yrs now. So ots way worse that ever before. Thanks for checking up on me. Have a good day.... Rich
Oh, I did allot of work on hives yesterday, and need to update from that. A friend is coming out to my farm from 1.5 hrs away to assist me. Now that a great guy there.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Update, friend didn't get to come out. Thunderstorms crashed the party.
I worked them pretty good, and all bees had good space, and resources except 1.. and I pulled me.. explain... this 1 was week, but doing nicely. Young queen starting to lay, resources low. So I helped em... I did add in hive syrup, so I created an in hive robbing situation. They were decimated in a few hrs. 😂, so I did more harm than anything to this 3 box high, 5 framer. So, I'll never feed in hive at beginning of dearth again. I'll stick to open feeding away from all hives. Strong will get most of it anyway, but I'll try not to kill more promising hives this way again. Was sad to see this happening, and you can never stop robbing once it begins. I'll do some splits, but just remove resource frames from strong hives, and give it to the poor ones. Maybe this is better? As I want to increase hive numbers this year, and dearth is on. I'll make a yard just for smaller splits, away from main yard. ? Will this help? Input welcomed... Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a feeling I may be in your boat on the back issues. Looks like the car wreck has done a lot of damage to my spine. With covid, I'm having to wait a long time just to get to the first appointment for a doc. I hope you manage to do well on the latest interventions.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Hi Heather. Sorry to hear about the back issues, and the wreck that caused them. Bad thing about the back troubles are, they seem to never go away, and most of the time get worse. Did you go to emergency room? That's a good first step after a wreck. I know the backlog is terrible, getting into a doc. Especially if not established with a good one. My situation didn't get better, as I was hoping for the miracle treatment. They told me I didn't improve enough after this latest one, so wouldn't reccomend doing the second measure, cauterizing nerves. So, I got 2 options, medicate more or back surgery and medicate.... I really don't want either options. I guess I'll see.doc again next month, and look for any missed options. I sure hope tours is one of those that gets better with time, and good treatment !!! Keep me posted. Rich

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have a feeling I may be in your boat on the back issues. Looks like the car wreck has done a lot of damage to my spine. With covid, I'm having to wait a long time just to get to the first appointment for a doc. I hope you manage to do well on the latest interventions.
So very sorry to hear this! Take care!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Heather. Sorry to hear about the back issues, and the wreck that caused them. Bad thing about the back troubles are, they seem to never go away, and most of the time get worse. Did you go to emergency room? That's a good first step after a wreck. I know the backlog is terrible, getting into a doc. Especially if not established with a good one. My situation didn't get better, as I was hoping for the miracle treatment. They told me I didn't improve enough after this latest one, so wouldn't reccomend doing the second measure, cauterizing nerves. So, I got 2 options, medicate more or back surgery and medicate.... I really don't want either options. I guess I'll see.doc again next month, and look for any missed options. I sure hope tours is one of those that gets better with time, and good treatment !!! Keep me posted. Rich
I had to read a lot of papers on chronic pain for a class I was taking last year. Sadly, the gist of current research is that no medication much helps relieve chronic pain better than plain old Tylenol. People taking Percocet or Norco long term reported more pain than people taking just Tylenol. It sucks that we really don't know much about pain, how it works or how to treat it. Wishing you the best and hope the docs figure out a way.

And, congrats on the anniversary!!

341 - 360 of 386 Posts