Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am new and could not find how to post on the welcome page.Just wanted to ask why I am told not to give honey to revive a bee but to give sugar and water?They make the honey for themselves to eat so why not? Thank you.Sue 馃悵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi am new and could not find how to post on the welcome page.Just wanted to ask why I am told not to give honey to revive a bee but to give sugar and water?They make the honey for themselves to eat so why not? Thank you.Sue 馃悵
Hi sorry just seen a post and found the answer 馃ゴ It鈥檚 not their own honey so big no.Thanks anyway.Sue 馃悵

Registered
It鈥檚 not their own honey so big no.
Well, there is no "big no".
You do what works for you.
I have tons of honey left from the other season from various bees - I will feed them to other bees this season.
Unsure who and why stated this "big no" as an unqualified statement.

Feeding honey from unknown sources maybe risky in that you may bring in infection (but even then the risk level can be investigated).
But this is far cry from a "big no".

Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
the bees eat "nectar" which is 3 to 8 percent sugar.
Honey is 83 ish percent sugar, when bees eat honey they add water back, honey is a "storage" product, high enough in sugar to keep well.

GG

Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
Nectar is a bees natural food source.

Honey is their emergency backup food.

As such, I have no issues in taking the honey they don't need and feeding them a light sugar syrup through our dearths to keep them healthy and happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts