Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is tradeing places of the top and bottom hive bodies worth the disruption of the bees routine? I am planning on replacing my solid bottom boards with screened bottom boards but I could wait until later in the spring when the weather is warmer.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
It won't hurt to wait but what you really need to do is decide if reversing is part of your routine regarding management. There are many different viewpoints. If you do reverse, I would consider it a major disruption of the colony and do it when the weather and conditions most favor it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Bobby, you're a bit south of me... if you decide to reverse, the time to do it is anytime between now and April 10, depending on:
a) Weather, and
b) where is the cluster and brood nest?

If the bees are expanding the brood nest, and the queen and brood is in your top box, and you're running two deeps for the brood nest, it's time to reverse. Now, what is in the bottom box? Brood? Honey? Pollen? Empty? If empty many think it should be on top soon, to help reduce swarming impulse. Last Thursday when we hit 60 here in Poplar Bluff, sunny day, I reversed 5 of my colonies. Brood and queen was upstairs, downstairs empty. I reversed, and slapped on feeders today, to assure they wouldn't starve if we had many days of rainy weather.

But, as suggested, you need to decide if this is going to be part of your management program.
I wish you well!
Steven

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Reversed all of mine in my backyard. All of the bees were in the 2nd box and for the most part all of the frames in the bottom box were just empty brood comb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts