Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting for warmer temps to reverse brood chambers , is it possible to chill the brood by putting the brood on the bottom right at the bottom entrance , especially coming out of the winter and not sure of how many bee's you have to cover the brood .

Is there a time frame when this has to get done as they will start filling the bottom chamber .

Lows this week are from 31 to 44 degrees , Hi's are finally going to be nice in the 60's

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I thought maybe I was to late , I hope all the pollen there bringing in is going in the top box . I'll be interested to see if the bottom is empty , I'm very skeptical its not as they are still very heavy . What if I find some pollen or honey or brood at what point can I remove it . I'm trying to get rid of all my deeps and go all medium .

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry too much as long as you have your entrance reducer in place. It cuts down on the amount of air entering the hive from below. The bees are going to cluster anyway. As long as they have food available or they are being fed syrup during the day, they should be just fine if you reverse.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I noticed my hive is only using the upper entrance, not the lower. I'm sure that's because central headquarters is in the top 1 or 2 mediums, and they haven't moved down. I'm waiting a while before I reverse tho - to see if they will move down (some say they will) and also because I don't want to chill the new brood. Our last frost in this area is 5/15ish.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the weight of this double deep I'm afraid there still in the bottom, but I really want to swap out the deep if possible . I'm going to check it out tomorrow if the weather is as nice as there forecasting .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts