Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. I have 2 brood chambers on and while I was doing my inspection recently I noticed that my upper chamber was filled with bees and alot of brood. I saw the queen up there too. While I was looking in the bottom chamber, I saw alot of bees but very little brood. My question is this. Would it be a good idea to reverse the hive bodies at this time of year so the can move upward, or will that screw things up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Here in Texas, I began reversing or checkerboarding, the middle of February. I am not familiar with the timing in your location but you should have an objective. From what you have described I see no reason, not to reverse back.

Danny

·
Registered
892 Posts
I swap mine around because i know how much she likes to just climb up and keep laying.

I have some timming issues to consider on my end as i use one deep and one med for brood and therefore usually go into winter with my deep in the middle. This allows me to move the deep to the bottom in spring, take the empty med super that was on the bottom and checkerboard it with whats left of the med honey super i leave on top over the winter. (note with the above the main brood area in the deep is never messed with)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Is this an overwintered colony, a package started this year on foundation, a package started this year on drawn comb, a nuc put in with drawn comb or a nuc installed with the rest foundation? If it was a package or nuc started this year I would place a honey super on top and the queen will move down as they store honey in the super and the top brood box. That would work here in WI this time of year for me but I don't know what your flows are there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an overwintered colony, I believe it swarmed on me a few weeks ago, but I did just get 70 lbs. of honey from the 2 honey supers that I had on. I guess my big concern is screwing up the hive by reversing them at this time of year. This hive is doing great with alot of bees even after a swarm and I don't want to disorient the girls. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
How about instead of reversing the whole boxes, you just switch a couple of frames between top and bottom boxes? Perhaps choose a couple of busy frames from the top, but not the center-most brood frames, so as not to disrupt the heart of the brood area. Exchange them with emptier frames from the bottom. It would be similar to when you exchange a couple of busy frames from a strong hive and put it into a weaker hive to give them a boost.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I reverse my chambers when it's needed. Like you, I had tons of brood, larva, bees and the queen in the 2nd hive body, but the lower just had bees and pollen that was being stored. The queen had moved up and judging by the amount of pollen, never looked back, so I switched the bodies. If you give them too much time without her down there, they will do what mine were doing, filling it up with stuff other than eggs and larva. Guess they'll have some work to do while they rearrange.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts