Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being my first year, I am still learning the 101 of Beekeeping. I started out with 2 deep supers of bare foundation. As of the last check (a few days ago) I have the upper brood box with 7 frames of foundation drawn out and 5 of these frames are full of capped brood. I plan on reversing the boxes so they can work on the empty super. My question is, should I put any full frames of brood up in the upper super? or am i just supposed to let them do it all natural like the did in the first super? Any helpful hints you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
From what you say it doesn't sound like the bees are ready for a second box yet - I'd remove the empty one and wait until the remaining box is full of bees in all seams and all comb except for 1 & 10 are drawn out and in use. Keep an eye on them - with 5 frames of brood they can get to that point in a hurry!

When you do add the 2nd box, put it on top. I like to take several frames from the bottom box and put them as "bait" into the upper box - Look for two adjacent frames of mostly brood. That will encourage the bees to start using the new box immediately. If you're replacing the frames that came from the bottom box with new foundation, put them at 2 & 8.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts