Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my reversals done about a week ago all queens were in the top box as usual for this time of year , I know its late but the weather here has been crazy and now i see weather coming with night time lows below freezing , my question is once I get the queen and any brood with her down to the bottom can they keep the brood warm enough , I always feel like i should put a buffer on the bottom like a box with empty drawn comb so there not right on the same level as the bottom entrance any ideas .

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I call the "buffer", a medium in my case, Grand Central Station in summer and my water condenser / diffusion sump in winter. I never rotate and my deep brood chamber is on top of Grand Central. I have a fixed brood chamber arrangement summer and winter; QE above and supers or feeders or ?? I also implement a few other Contrarian mehtods.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Look up "slatted rack." I use them on all my hives, and am convinced it helps summer and winter.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about a slatted rack for this issue but haven't used one in 5 years and figured it was just another piece of equipment that isn't really necessary .

I will try putting a empty box of drawn comb on the bottom and see what they do with it

·
Registered
956 Posts
When I reversed this year,I left the 1 1/2 pink foam winter insulation on for that reason.The Q moved right up,even with freezing temps.The heat from the cluster below was trapped against the insulation.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I will try putting a empty box of drawn comb on the bottom and see what they do with it
That's what I did on my overwintered singles. Mostly to provide a barrier from drafts so the queen will lay to the bottom of the frames. With my carni x Russian genetics bees don't seem convinced that winter is over. Even with pollen sub and open feeding they seem to be holding back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts