Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks looks like it’s time to remove syrup here in Western Kentucky.
im late getting my hives up to weight this year because of personal injuries to myself (major fall, broken back) followed by wife major surgery on knee with complications that required constant tending.
The end result is it looks like 5-6 gallons of heavy syrup (1 gallon water to 10 lbs sugar) left over as I switch to sugar cakes.
Anyone know how to easily convert this to cakes? I’d hate to dump it but don’t know of any way to store this.
thanks,mike

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
That is a weak mix, not much better than 1 to 1. It will easily ferment.

I don't know how to convert it to "cake". Well I do, boil away the water. But that would not be a good plan in terms of a lot of HMF being produced.

It can be stored by adding bleach to it as a preservative.

Or, you could add as much sugar to it again, making a 2 to 1 mix, which will store several months.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
Ascorbic acid, which is basically Vitamin C has to be my favourite additive as a preservative of sugar syrup. You need to reduce the pH to around 4.5 and make the sugar solution as concentrated as possible.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Turn it into 2 to 1 it will not ferment then in spring weaken it back. You will need some heat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
I do have an empty freezer (unplugged while not in use) that I use to make sure there are no pests in stored comb.
thanks again

·
Registered
25 Posts
I switched to all sugar cakes this year, but in the past I have made homemade fondant. My recipe used heavy syrup, cider, powdered sugar, and essential oils. Brought it to a soft boil and used my big drill and bit for mixing joint compound before pouring on to inner covers lined with parchment paper to let it set up. Worked like a charm--but a bit of effort. The hives absolutely loved it---so much so that they ate it before their own stores. Might be worth a try....

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
477 Posts
Keep it simple.
Add more sugar to make a saturated solution - enough that there is a little undissolved after stirring well then add about a tablespoon of bleach per gallon and it should keep till spring.
Use it to substitute the liquid in your sugar cake production, it will take more syrup in the recipe than water or vinegar it replaces.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,020 Posts
Well folks looks like it’s time to remove syrup here in Western Kentucky.
im late getting my hives up to weight this year because of personal injuries to myself (major fall, broken back) followed by wife major surgery on knee with complications that required constant tending.
The end result is it looks like 5-6 gallons of heavy syrup (1 gallon water to 10 lbs sugar) left over as I switch to sugar cakes.
Anyone know how to easily convert this to cakes? I’d hate to dump it but don’t know of any way to store this.
thanks,mike
So get some fruit and some wine yeast and go a different way....:)
reverse calculate a 50 lb of sugar wine batch, then use the wine to put on your fruit cakes.

or maybe freeze it

GG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts