Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with fragility using honey super frames with old wired wax foundation? It should be from ~1996.

I know the previous owner/hive's history. Just wondering if the foundation will be strong enough to use as a honey super and in an extractor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's bound to be somewhat brittle. I'd use new foundation myself.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Be gentle installing it in frames on warm days and it is a good thing to have. I have over 25 pounds of foundation I purchase probably in 1983 I am using up quite successfully.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprisingly, I just checked the foundation which was surprisingly supple. (That said, TX, I have shallows from another source with brittle foundation - those sheets are going in the trash!) These hives were treatment-free, so even if it's like today's foundation, there's no additional contamination. Hopefully I can afford to cycle out foundation after a few years. I'll use the frames with old foundation for now.

I have over 25 pounds of foundation I purchase probably in 1983 I am using up quite successfully.
Nice stash of clean foundation, Vance. :applause: Color me jealous! Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts