Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alot of wax cappings with residual honey in it after using a cappings scratcher last year so the stuff is in a flakey wet oatmeal consistency. My question is if i feed this back to the bees, besides taking the honey, would the bees also take the wax flakes as well and reuse it too?

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its unlikly they will have any intrest in the wax, I put cappings in a straner and let it drain for a day and then just render the wax down.

·
Registered
723 Posts
They won't take it.

If you're a hobbyist, with less than 20 hives, you can do what I do.

I have made a cheap solar wax melter for less than $8 using a styrofoam cooler and a piece of plexiglass. I then take the clean wax and melt it back down in an old crock pot. I use this was as an extra roll on layer on plastic foundation. The extra layer of wax really helps the bees get going on building.

Here's a link to the CHEAP solar melter....http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/solmltr.htm

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I doubt that they would take it. If you do give it to them to clean up, they'll tend to chew it up as they get to the honey but they don't really use it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The bees will work the cappings until every bit of honey is taken from them. I left lots of five gallon buckets of cappings out in the winter this year (same as you consistency of honey oatmeal). Dug them out of the snow when the bees got here from Calf. and placed them on their sides in the holding yard. Those buckets were clean in no time. Just some wax residue piles the consistency of sawdust with every bit of honey gone. Can't say if they used any of the wax but they sure did get every drop of honey out of um.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ditto Alpha. Put out what cappings I had in a bucket last fall and the girls removed every drop of honey. Put the cappings aside to melt down for wax using the system described by theriverhawk.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ditto for all responses. I find leaving honey soaked capping out for the bees to pick clean is the easiest way to make wax ready for rendering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts