Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I made a strong hive queenless so they would produce cells with the plan of returning the queen as soon as I harvest.

Question - If I miss a cell will the resulting virgin kill the old queen? I'm guessing yes. If so, I should probably just leave the queen where she is and leave the hive a cell or two to make a new queen. Not what I planned, but better than killing a good laying queen.

How do you avoid this issue with queenless cell builders - other than by not returning the queen?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is I'm just trying to learn queen raising, and I don't need a hive to be queenless all the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then use a division board and keep brood raised in the top w/ cell bars so they will work the cells, and leave a laying queen in bottom. Raise the brood as needed to keep workers in the top super.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Solve those problems by using a Cloake board! You keep the hive queenright and just move emerging/capped brood from other hives into the upper cell builder box to keep a strong population. When not in use just remove the Cloake board setup, or you can leave it in permanently.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a Cloake board might be the way to go in the future. I guess with my current situation I should just leave the laying queen where she is in a nuc, and let the cell builder raise a new queen this time. No big deal, our flow is either over or almost over depending on rain, so the hive might be better off without open brood to feed.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts