Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finishing a jar of honey and at the advice of a more veteran beekeeper, I put out the quite crystallized remains near landing board of my hive. (He advised returning honey dirtied items post crush extraction to hives for bees to clean. ) This one recently had a swarm depart. I have another hive nearby.

Going back an hour later, the seem to be a few dozen dead bees in it, quite a bit of activity, and a tussle or two. I'm not sure this was a net positive. Any ideas or remarks?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If it was a jar of honey that came from the hive, it is ok to feed it back. However, as you have seen they will get stuck and drown in containers unless you provide something for them to rest and drink from. Sometimes their clean up ability outweighs a few dead bees like when cleaning out an extractor.
To avoid fighting and robbing, set the honey dirtied items as far away from the hives as you can. For frames, put them back on the hives so they can clean them. It is always safer to do open feeding when there is a flow on. If there is a dearth, expect problems. J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts