Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of new queens and wanted to drop them in a couple of small splits off of some of my established hives. I basically took 2 frames of brood in various stages, 1 frame of capped honey and one with honey/nectar/pollen.

I tried to make sure that I did not get the queen, but will do a very painstaking inspection tomorrow to be sure - I had to smoke the parent hive, as they were overflowing with bees everywhere. Whenever I smoke the hive, I rarely see the queen. So, I am hopeful that I will spot her (if she is in the daggone split) when I check tomorrow morning.

My question is this : if I do find her (i.e. I made a mistake), will I have a problem putting her back into the parent hive? I am hopeful that they will still recognize her, but wanted input from folks here.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I tried to make sure that I did not get the queen, but will do a very painstaking inspection tomorrow to be sure - I had to smoke the parent hive, as they were overflowing with bees everywhere. Whenever I smoke the hive, I rarely see the queen. So, I am hopeful that I will spot her (if she is in the daggone split) when I check tomorrow morning.
Next time you make splits like this, use an excluder.

Make your split. Shake off all the bees. Place an excluder on the split hive. Place an empty box on excluder and the split combs in the box. Cover overnight. Next day you'll have your split populated with bees...young bees if one brood frame is open brood. Remove split onto new bottom, add frames to fill in box. Voila! No queen!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Excluders are useful for requeening mean colonies as well. Granted you run several brood boxes: insert excluder between all brood boxes, wait a week, set the box with eggs/young larvae to the side (usually the top box). Old bees return to queenless hive and the remaining bees are fewer and usually less defensive. From here there are many options on requeening, split, reunite, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts