Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a short while back I set up a half-dozen 4-frame nucs with a mind to overwinter them. I bought six queens from a local supplier, put them in and went back in 3 days to check for release. Most had not made their way out of the cages (too much candy, I think) and so I was popping them out, one by one. Of course they like to stay in the cage, always on the wrong side, etc...one came out onto my glove...then she spread her wings and began to fly. She circled several times, gaining elevation, as I watched with a mix of amusement and horror. Then she flew off. I had no idea what to do. So I finished with the other queens, and came back to read up here at beesource. You all had really good advice in past threads, the most common was that she would come back, sometimes in minutes. So the next morning I went back out and hoped to find her. Alas...no.

That was maybe 12 days ago? Went today to look through the boxes, see how the girls were all doing with the fall flow starting to trickle on. And there she was! Marked, fat and happy....hanging out in some comb up in the feeder (i have excluders on the mini nucs and they use a common top feeder). And now she's back to work, and I am much relieved. As usual, the bees work it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts