Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all you guys for the discussions along these lines. Yesterday I had a hive swarm out, this is my first year in the hobby. They landed in a vey small tree about 10 feet off the ground. I grabbed an old box, sprayed Pledge Lemon on the bottom board and leaned the tree over and weighted it in place. two (2) hours latter the tree is empty and the box full. It is now relocated in the 'beeyard' nad doing fine for over 24 hours now. Sure taking a lot of syrup though, actually both hives are. Again THANKS to all.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Congrats! This is only my second year but I haven't gotten a swarm yet. I missed one last year by 1/2 of an hour. Were you feeding your hive prior to the swarm or did you already have adequate forage down there? (I grew up Medina County, TX).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lemon Pledge? What is the story with using that!

Sounds interesting.

·
Banned
288 Posts
it's been mentioned several times--pledge works like lemongrass oil, just does not last nearly as long. good for this purpose, less so for 3 weeks in a bait hive......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Lemon Pledge trick came from this forum (I think). I'm feeding syrup at night and making them forage during the day. My neighbors and I have lots of weeds with small yellow flowers, the bees come back so loaded they can't land! Not much in the way of nector yet, but only about a month or less away. AGAIN, ,any thanks for all the useful info you guys bring up. May seem as just reading material at the time, but then it's needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts