Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was this morning, doing something completely unrelated, when I allowed my mind to wander - and for some reason I started to focus on the Vapourising of Oxalic Acid by heat. Now as we know, this produces a dust cloud of micro-fine crystals - and that's the only reason that heat is used - to produce those tiny particles. For, as we also know, dribbling or spraying a solution containing Oxalic Acid also works. But - the disadvantage of these two 'wet' methods is that they require dismantling of the hive in order to access each comb in turn to perform the application.

But - what if a fine mist - more of a fog really - of a solution containing Oxalic Acid was injected into the hive - would this be comparable to any of the existing methods of application ?

At first I started wondering whether a standing-wave fogging device would carry larger molecular components into the fog, or would it separate molecules of different sizes - but then quickly realised that this technology has already been optimised in the form of medical nebulisers - which of course are used to deliver therapeutic compounds into an air-stream.

The power requirements of this technology are a fraction of that required for existing heat-operated vapourisers, and portable devices are fairly common. I wonder - is the cold-fogging of Oxalic Acid worth researching ?

Thoughts ?
LJ

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I am going to guess not. Hot fogging OA failed, I would expect cold fogging to as well

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to guess not. Hot fogging OA failed, I would expect cold fogging to as well
Are you sure ? I know fogging with FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) failed, but there are plenty of OA hot-foggers currently advertised for sale - some of which appear to be the multi-dose equivalent of what are already proven, others are propane-powered. I suppose much depends on what is meant by 'fogging'.
LJ

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been doing a Google - I can see now what went wrong with hot-foggers - the solubility of OA Dihydrate is 230g/L in ethanol - so that's what many chose as a solvent to then inject onto a very hot surface (barmy, or what ?).

The solubility of OA Dihydrate in water is 100g/L at room temperature - so it would be necessary to inject a minimum of 10ml of that solution per box in the form of steam using a hot-fogger, or the same voiume as fog in a cold-fogger. I wonder how long that would take. Hmmm ...
LJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
LJ " THoguhts?" - What problem are you trying to solve with respect to OAV - energy consumption? Better distribution? Faster application?

I have thinking about a similar thing but for a different purpose.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
LJ, so why have the need for the "carrier at all" what if finely ground OA was blown in sand blaster like. Somewhat like powder in a Spray paint device like for painting a car. The end goal is to have the carrier/ethanol evaporate, so what if it was not needed. What particle size would work, and how much pressure would be required to spread it around inside the hive?

GG

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
If doing it the 'dry dust' way, I'd just use powder sugar dusting with hives on open screen bottom boards. It worked pretty well for me back 14-15 years ago.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LJ " THoguhts?" - What problem are you trying to solve with respect to OAV ...
Well, I wasn't - and therein lies the error. I had one of those sudden 'light-bulb' moments regarding the particle size of OA and how it's currently being achieved: "so why not ... use a nebuliser ?". That would get molecular-sized particles into the hive using well-proven technology, and without the need to dismantle anything beforehand.

Inasmuch as I thought about any advantage over existing methods, it was that a cold airflow device would have a fairly instant on/off characteristic - no warm-up or cool-down time, and could - I believe - be a hand-held battery device.

Then, I found myself sitting at the computer, and so posted what I did without doing any homework first. Sorry about that. On further consideration, I believe a nebuliser would work ok, but without any clear advantage over the current Inverting Band-Heater designs. The limiting factor would be the time taken to fog 10ml of liquid per box - I'm only guessing, but I'd say that would take maybe 15-20 minutes.

If another dust-like material - such as sugar, or talc - would do the same job - then yes, I like the idea of using those. That would be a fairly speedy method of application. But you're right Robert, one should always define the objective (problem to be solved) first.

I'm currently in the process of making a number of custom bases which are designed to house uber-cheap $5-7 non-inverting band-heater units (think band-heater Varrox's) which will allow multiple units to be used together. Although each sequence will be slow - say, 10-15 min - when 4 to 6 devices are used together, it then becomes more practicable.
I've looked at using cartridge heaters in order to make slimmer units, but can't get excited by them. Band-heaters really are bullet-proof in comparison. Pity about their height (for my application) - but can't have everything ...

The really important characteristic of the non-inverting band-heater design is - just like a Varrox - it becomes possible to operate the device from a distance, so that the need for wearing PPE is avoided - even when there are fluky winds eddying around the apiary.
LJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts